Friday, February 2, 2007

I have had the most wonderful luck to find another ameloblastoma survivor here through blogger.com. I have searched and searched but not been able to find anyone and of course the hospital can't give me any information on others they have treated. He is in a much better place than I, having had his surgery back in the mid 90's. He has had implants since, 2 1/2 years after the initial removal (I am 1 1/2 years from my initial removal, which does give me hope) but has chosen not to have any cosmetic surgery on his chin. I am hopeful that he can help me get to where I need to be again, but he is a busy man and has written a couple of books from his experiences. I emailed him back, and pray this correspondence can only help me get to where I need to be in terms of being comfortable with myself or making decisions as to how we will proceed in future treatment.

1 comment:

pdurant said...

You can find a whole bunch of ameloblastoma survivors here -

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/
ameloblastoma/

It's a discussion group I found when I was searching for information when my then 17 year old son was diagnosed with a maxillary ameloblastoma 3 1/2 years ago. There are some wonderful people in the group and there is a lot of shared knowledge.

My son has had several surgeries - the last a jaw reconstruction bone graft using his rib....however, we learned recently that the graft has failed. We will be reviewing options in March again.

Good luck - If you want email me, feel free. Or join the group and post your concerns and questions there - I know there are people there who will be more than willing to help you.

My email address is pdurant@atlanticbb.net

Peggy