Sunday, February 22, 2009

Day by day...

I often find myself in a constant state of unrest and worry when I think about what all is going on. Little things will trigger a crazy reaction of panic where I just cant think straight and start to get very anxious and nervous. Is my tumor coming back? Is that an infection? What is that new pain? What is that new bump?

Take last night for example. I had a wonderful night with Chris, we spent some time together reading some new books we had bought and cuddling on the couch (I know we sound so old already, dont we!) Well, when it was time to go to bed I was feeling fine, in a great mood actually since we hadnt spent any quality time together in about a week with my surgery and both of us just being too tired to do much beyond say hello at night when he got home from work.

So we go to bed, and I start to take the pillows off. I get down to my 2 pillows and notice...a big yellowish brown ring on one of my pillows. Seriously, it was like the size of my head. I immediately started to panic- obviously it came out of my mouth. I still have an infection, or else I have a new one from this last surgery. I started to cry and get upset. Chris of course tells me not to worry and just go to sleep and talk to the doctor on Monday when I go in, but I couldnt sleep very well at all.

I woke up this morning with an old hymn in my mind from church. I had gone to bed thinking of some old songs we used to sing in kids camp when I was growing up so I must have had hymns on my mind, because we don't really sing hymns at church much anymore, they've been replaced with choruses instead. Anyway, the song I had in my mind was this:

"Day by day, and with each passing moment,
Strength I find to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my Father's wise bestowment,
I've no cause for worry or for fear."

I am not sure what compelled me to do it, but all of a sudden I remembered a month ago when I had spilled a cup of coffee on one of our extra pillows and had to take the pillowcase off and wash it, but the pillow underneath still had a huge (that's right) yellowish brown ring left on it. I got up, took the pillowcase off the extra pillow, and took my second pillow and matched up the two stains. It was just an old coffee stain from a pillowcase I hadn't used in a long time. *Sigh.

I posted this for two reasons. One, so you can see the littlest things that can ruin my day and how sometimes I worry I will never be the same again after all of this I have gone through. But also for myself, because every day I am learning to trust a little more to God what is to become of me in the future with this ameloblastoma. I can't see now what is going to happen, but I just need to take it all in stride and just trust that he is going to give me the strength to deal with it all no matter what happens next and thats that. I need to take some of the burden off of my own shoulders and allow him to help me through this!

No comments: