Thursday, April 24, 2008


Things got off to a rocky start yesterday when we got there they said that the insurance hadnt approved the surgery yet, turns out they had changed the way that doctors have to submit approvals and didnt bother to tell the doctors so we sat there for an hour and a half before they even took me back. Then it turned out they decided to do the implants at the same time (the studs of the implants, not the teeth yet). So it ended up being a much bigger surgery than we had planned. They deciced not to take the skin from the roof of my mouth so ended up taking a huge amount from my leg, basically the entire top of my right thigh was skinned.

I woke up at 3:30 am bleeding profusely all over the place, and I started to freak out because blood was coming out of my mouth too. I thought I was going to die, they hadnt told me it could get that bad (its rare but happens). So we get to the ER, they gave me a shot of something to calm me down and a shot of morphine because I hadnt been able to take any of my pain pills since they sent us home with pills yesterday instead of liquids. They told me I just have to deal with the bleeding. It is awful and every time I go to the bathroom blood comes pouring down my leg. We are just keeping it wrapped and lots of towels to clean up the mess whenever I have to walk. The skin graft hurts worse than my mouth right now even though that is starting to hurt worse today with all the swelling from the past few hours.

I just want to thank you all for the good thoughts and prayers. I am still in so much pain and scared, the skin graft feels like horrible burning all the time and with my face getting pulled tight from swelling my mouth is starting to hurt, plus all my meds now are liquid and make me almost vomit to take them so I wait until I have to it all just sucks. I go back in tomorrow morning first thing to have my graft looked at, they took an x ray this morning and it all looks good inside my mouth. They had to stick some metal up under my chin on 3 sides to wire the whole thing into place so I wondered why I woke up with 3 holes under my chin, so it is making my swelling look weird underneath. I think it will have a good result though when its all done.

This is me the night before, you can see how pulled in my lip is:

Last night when we got home (that red line is where my skin was pulled inwards under my mouth, it will go away):

My leg yesterday (its starting to swell):

My icky face today (see how swollen underneath is now, its all lopsided because of the metal wires underneath on 3 sides):

And my leg, I can only show you the top part but the entire bandages underneath are soaked through with blood and we just keep putting wraps over wraps, its horrible. I tried to spare you my underwear and crotch shot, lol:


Anonymous said...

Tina - you are an inspiration! You are in my thoughts and prayers and I just hope your recovery goes well and that you are able to manage the pain. You are still beautiful girl and nice legs darlin!!! Hang in there :)


Anonymous said...

Tina - you are in my thoughts and prayers. You are a strong woman and will get thru this. Your children are blessed to have such a beautiful mom inside and out!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there girl!


Anonymous said...

I'm checking in for updates and haven't seen anything lately. I hope all is well and that you are doing better. Take care!!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am Helen and I live in portugal, I was looking news about the treatment of ameloblastoma and found your blog, I've been through everything and I know this is difficult, but keep this force of will, if quser exchanging emails, I I am available.I was operated in 2006, removed 70% of my jaw bone and reconstruct the basin, lost 10 teeth and a bit of will to live, but I'm fine, last december i had my dental implants and i´m very happy with those. My email:
Best wishes

J A Workinger said...

Thank you for your postings. I am going to face this surgery on Aug 24. They are to remove 6 - 8 teeth along with the jaw bone. It is to be replaced with a piece of the fibia from my right leg. I Hope and Pray you have recovered and are well on your way to a 'normal' life again.

Anonymous said...

I was told several years ago that I may have this condition and I was scard. I am getting my check-ups and I am so scard that this will come back. You are so brave for posting your story to give me hope. God Bless you and your family.

lealavadee said...

I hope you get well soon